This traditional bungalow located in south-east Mississauga in the quiet neighborhood of Orchard Heights, was built in the early 1950's and had never been renovated. The rooms were small, dark and the house was extremely neglected. The bungalow was completely gutted and repaired. It was transformed into an open concept space to bring in the abundance of natural light and adorned with all the modern fixings like hardwood floors, and a modern fireplace.
One of the concerns that had to be addressed was the lack of natural light. The ceilings were raised to 9 feet and the wall removed between kitchen and family room.
Another concern that had to be addressed was the placement of the staircase leading to the basement. Instead of moving it, it was made more attractive with glass and stainless steel railing.
The kitchen was made in custom maple cabinetry and maximized for storage and counter space. The theme was slightly industrial as shown with the pendant lighting, silver handles and stone & metal back splash.
Another way to maximize natural lighting was the addition of a skylight in the kitchen.